Thursday, January 12, 2012

Bolsa Chica Wetlands

A large part of our homeschool is just getting outside into nature.  I think it's actually the most important thing at his age right now.  He loves what we call the 'hiking' parks.  That encompasses basically all the regional parks, tide pools, and other any place that gets us outside without going to playgrounds.  Our homeschool group was supposed to have a meeting today at the Bolsa Chica wetlands but the other family that was going ended up pulling out at the last moment due to illness so we went by ourselves.  I've been meaning to go to the wetlands for over a year but just never made it down there.  I'm so glad we finally made it.

We also decided to start our nature journals today.  Yes, I understand he is to young to actually draw what we observe but I think its great to start the habit young and hopefully gets him really looking closer at things then he normally would.  Here are some pictures we took while there today.

Seagull

Egret










Here are pictures of us.

Mommy and Little Miss

Green Bubbles' funny face
And, of course, the start of our nature journals.  I'm doing one as well in part to model what he is supposed to be doing, but also to learn as well.  I really don't know the names of any of the plants, animals, or bugs we'll be observing so this is also to help me look in closer detail, log it, and look it up later to discover the name of what we're watching.  Let me start by saying, I am by no means an artist.  I'm awful at it and have no artistic ability.  I hope to teach my son to draw a little better by starting at a young age and maybe doing an art class when he's older.  But for now, he can do whatever he wants.  We both drew the same thing.  I labeled his 'duck' because I honestly have no idea what it's name was at the time.  I looked it up later to discover it is called a pintail which makes total sense because it's tail is long and sticks up in the back!  I really thought these birds were interesting.

Mommy

Green Bubbles

No comments:

Post a Comment